Pages

Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What could have been...The tale of a good game and the horrible customer service that murdered it.

This is an angry rant triggered by idiocy I've had to suffer via email from Nexon's auto-mailer.

Most people probably haven't heard of Dungeon Fighter Online, aka "Dungeon and Fighter". It's a side scrolling 2D beat-em-up brawler game with some RPG elements that was released in the f2p (free to play) MMO format. While I've been generally sick of MMO's and and their sub-genre's for awhile I also have a soft spot in my heart for side 2D beat-em-up games, so about...I think it was almost 3 years ago...I gave DFO a shot, and I liked it. I liked it a lot.

Unfortunately I quit because publisher for its north American version has the intelligence of an escaped mental patient that is on crack and just received a traumatic brain injury. Frequently parts of their systems will just plain break. Not just in game but their website and cash shop servers as well. Temporary items with an expiration date 5 days from now auto delete today when they clearly aren't supposed to. Cash shop items that give a non descriptive error message when you try to buy something: "Error104". Real helpful guys.

And when you report these things you'll wait months (possibly years) only to have your support ticket automatically closed, get an email with a generic canned reply like "how to reset your password" that obviously does not apply to your problem, and maybe have the one staff member they have who's actual job is support for a completely different Nexon game decides to suggest things that don't even...Well I think you get the idea.

The game is shutting down, and that's probably for the best. I only wish Nexon itself was shutting down so the properties it has could go to a company that might actually care about why their number of players was shrinking. I now ask "is it a nexon game?" instead of "what's it like?" as my first question when friends want me to check out a new online game because there is no way I'll touch anything by Nexon ever again.

Nexon's own words on the matter suggest they thought the game would make money and then they'd pay for appropriate staffing to run and maintain the game...It doesn't work that way, you have to be able to run and maintain a game if you want to retain enough customers to make money! This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain!

But the stupidity doesn't end there, no, not by a long shot. It's been years since I logged into the game. I don't even have it installed. I never even used their cash shop when I did play. But I got a message saying my Nexon account is restricted due to "suspicious activity" related to DFO's cash shop. So I reinstalled the client and checked out my account both in game and on their website and found it was completely untouched since I left it and even shows it hadn't been logged in at all for that entire time. I never used the shop when I did play, so what activity was there that could have been suspicious?

Nexon has mass restricted and mass banned without explanation before on top of letting glitches do serious damage, to the point that the few who chose to stay got used to using the phrase "got nexon'd" to describe their disappeared friends, restricted accounts, and missing items.

No words of mine are adequate to explain just how horrible this company is.

Had DFO been properly supported it might have been the first review on this blog, and might even have broken the 4.0 barrier on scores. As it is with the problems and non support, it would be lucky to get a number at all instead of a photograph of my middle finger.

No comments: