Pages

Translate

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Indie gaming website I was introduced to recently : RMN

Not long ago the search engine I was using to look for a certain a soundtrack showed me a link to a game, and I decided to check it out. The game was called Hellion, and was made using RPG Maker 2003. The game was styled to resemble early games of the Dragon Quest series (aka Dragon Warrior), which is why the search engine picked it up.

I enjoyed this game so much that I contacted the author, Kentona, who introduced me to the website where he is an Administrator: rpgmaker.net (aka "RMN"). The site has a lot of useful resources, tutorials, and help for multiple development and middleware engines. The people there are mostly friendly, and you can count on the staff to be reasonable so long as you yourself are civil.

Some other places I'd been to in the past have been less than friendly. I've seen people so steadfastly against any form of middleware that I have to wonder why they were still present. I've seen rabid RPG maker fans too busy arguing over who's middleware engine is better and I've seen useless "help" such as "I have done that in my game which will not be released until I get my patent for my event script!" followed by "you're lucky anyone even replied you ingrateful[sic] sod"...Those were actual responses I've seen to simple newbie questions at other sites.

I haven't had to deal with any of that garbage on RMN.

In the coming weeks I'll be reviewing both Hellion and a fan made Dragon Quest game that I saw on RMN.

No comments: